I have been homeschooling for years and have graduated students from my homeschool. Best advice for anyone who is new: Do not plan to do anything until at least a month after you decide to homeschool. Use this time to:
- read about learning styles
- meet other homeschoolers
- join a homeschool support group
- learn about different styles of homeschooling
- read about curriculum online
- get into a routine for cooking and cleaning
- take your children to the library or pick up library books curbside
- find some fun, educational documentaries on Netflix or Amazon Prime
- play educational games
- look up virtual field trips online
In a few weeks, you will realize:
- your children can learn in a variety of ways
- you can really do this. If you can teach numbers, letters, and colors to your toddler/preschooler, you can teach them anything with the right resources
- the world is filled with resources. There are books, movies, online classes and so much more. Picking the “one perfect curriculum” is impossible and most children can learn with whatever you have.
- you can choose subjects that you want your children to learn about and then find resources to help them learn.
Homeschool Louisiana is here to help you get started. Please contact us with questions.