What is Homeschool Louisiana?
Homeschool Louisiana is a 501c3 non-profit Christian ministry representing home school support groups and homeschool families from around the state. Homeschool Louisiana’s goal is to make homeschooling possible for every family.
Homeschool Louisiana’s Purpose is to:
1) Provide timely national and state news that would affect homeschoolers in a discriminatory way. Homeschool Louisiana is the point-of-contact for national home education service organizations.
2) Assist in the formation of new home education support groups and provide a network of communication between the groups.
3) Educate families on how to start the homeschooling process.
4) Support home education research to reinforce to the community that homeschooling is a viable method of education.
5) Provide leadership training for local homeschool support group leaders to strengthen and grow their community.
6) Educate the public about home education and thus improve acceptance in the community.
7) Create, develop, and/or promote educational conferences where families can successfully homeschool.
8) Watch for unfavorable legislation and policies that are discriminatory to homeschool families and graduates.
Why is a Network of Support Groups so Important?
We live in an age of information and change, and much of this change challenges the very existence of the family. Such a network provides homeschoolers with the information needed to influence the changes occurring in our nation and state. If we are not involved, the laws will change and homeschooling and family life as we know it will be a thing of the past. In addition, if needed, a well-organized support group can quickly respond to any adverse legislation by calling or writing local, state, or national governmental officials.
How Does a Support Group Become a Member of Homeschool Louisiana?
Upon request, Homeschool Louisiana will send your support group leader information and membership application forms. Please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How Do Home School Support Groups Form?
Homeschool support groups form in many ways. Some have formed when families meet at the park or zoo during the day. Some have decided it is easier to form a support group closer to home rather than commuting across town or another city. Others may meet at their local church.
It doesn’t take a large number of families to start a group; some support groups begin with as few as four or five families. Lack of experience should not prevent anyone from starting a group. Homeschool Louisiana can provide assistance to anyone interested in forming a new support group.
Homeschool Louisiana is NOT
A replacement for your local church
A replacement for your local homeschool support group
A virtual school, charter school, homeschool cooperative or curriculum provider
An organization that provides legal services such as HSLDA